Thursday, April 8, 2010

Brinkers Dad


Brinker wanted me to see his dad. So, we went down to the Butt room. His dad had a cigar and we talked about where we are going to after Devon. I said I wanted to wait and get drafted but, if i did that not they might put me staright in the infantry and that is the dirtiest and also dangerous branch of all. I then told him that i joined the Navy and that they are sending me to Pensacola. Mr. Hadley i can tell didn't seem to care for the sound of what i said. I then said that Brinker is off the to Coast Guard. Mr. Hardley was not please about that. Brinker then tried to exaplin to his dad that the Coast Guard does some very rough stuff, putting the men on the beaches, all that amphibios stuff. His father then said that he has to do what he thinks is right and make sure thatit the right thing in the long run, just not for the moment. He also said that your war memories will be with and that you forever and you will be asked millions of questions and that people will get their respect from you, but if you can say that you were up front wher ethere was some real shooting then that woudl will mean a whole lot to you in years to come. His father would not stop talking. He then said "You want to serve, that's all. It's you greatest momentm greatest privilege, to serve you country. We're all proud of you, and we're all jelous of you too." Brinker i can tell was getting a little annoyed and he told his dad that we will do what he want. His father told him that we can do more, a lot more if we want a military record that you can be proud of, that we can do a lot more. Brinker was getting upset i can tell. His father then left. Brinker told me that he wishes he father would stop with the lectures and i told him it's alright. I could tell that Birnker and his dad did not see eye to eye. Brinker then told me that he is enlisting and that the war is all about children and if i ever noticed it.

page:198-201

No comments:

Post a Comment